As a husband and father of three children under the age of five, I understand the challenges of meeting the needs of others as well as recognizing and expressing one’s own needs.
One of the most common themes I see with clients (including new parents) is the challenge of identifying and asserting one’s boundaries with their loved ones. This is such a pervasive issue because rarely do we ever have the good fortune of being taught assertiveness in childhood. Setting boundaries is not an innate skill and many doubt they have a right to say “no”, to disagree, and to express their emotions at the risk of disappointing others. Identifying and expressing our emotions is also a skill that takes practice to develop, rather than something that comes naturally. By helping people develop and practice assertiveness with family and friends, it is only inevitable that they see a remarkable improvement in their self-esteem and better clarity in what they want for their future.
I provide clients with the option of either using a client-centered, strength-based approach, or a structured CBT approach, with a focus on the following presenting problems: anxiety, depression, social anxiety, panic disorder, trauma, OCD, health anxiety, or specific phobias. Clients presenting with one of the aforementioned problems tend to benefit most from structured CBT, whereas clients struggling with challenges outside of these areas benefit more from client-centered treatment. Ultimately, my approach is highly collaborative with the client.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Couples Counselling
- Substance Use Disorders/Addiction
- Life transitions
- Parenting skill development
- Depression and Anxiety
- M.A. Counselling, Psychotherapy, and Spirituality at Saint Paul University, Ottawa, Ontario
- B.A. Hons Psychology, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia
- CBT for Anxiety-Related Disorders – Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Health Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Specific Phobia, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- CBT for Depression
- Emotion-Focused Couples Therapy
- structured CBT
He / Him
Therapist - MA, RP